12/10/2014

Striped Maxi Dress | DIY



I purchased this gorgeous fabric on sale a few months ago from Tessuti Fabrics. I always knew I wanted to make a maxi dress out of it and I have finally gotten around to doing it! I was inspired by this dress made by Donna from Sew Independent. She actually won a competition Tessuti Fabrics were running using this exact fabric!






For the top of the dress, I traced around an existing tank top, adding a 1.5cm seam allowance. Because this is a knit fabric, I topstitched around the neckline and added ribbon to the shoulder seams to stabilise the material (a few things I learnt from Tilly Walnes) I loved the low back on Donna's dress, so I did a similar thing to the back of mine. 





For the skirt section of the dress, I doubled the width of the top so I could gather the material. I also added pockets using this tutorial, however I moved my pockets further down the side of the skirt. 




I am really happy with how the dress has turned out. Recently I have noticed a big improvement with my sewing - I am much more patient and it is showing in the quality of my work!

Look out for a few more projects soon.

xx

 

No comments:

Post a Comment