30/06/2014

Organising My Craft Supplies | The Beginnings

I literally laughed out loud. My fabric stash is ridiculous and I still keep buying fabric.... I'm not sure ill ever be on the road to recovery for that one....
image from pinterest

I am finally getting around to organising my growing pile of craft supplies. One of the main reasons I have been putting this off is because I was unsure of how I wanted to organise everything. We are looking to own our first home this year so we won't be in our existing house for too much longer. However I have decided to bite the bullet for now and just organise everything as best I can. I will do an updated one of these once we move.

This is what my craft supplies storage looked like before. A complete mess I know! We really have limited storage in this house and are quickly outgrowing it.


This is the after! It is still not how I would really like to store all my supplies but it works for now.


I had to be completely ruthless when it came to organising all my craft supplies. I can sometimes be a bit of a fabric scrap hoarder (who knows, it may come in handy for something!) so I made myself chuck out any remnants I knew I would not be using.

My favourite part is how I have organised my fabric stash - it looks so pretty and utilises our filing cabinet which does not really get used. This idea came from Lauren from The Thinking Closet. It makes it so easy to see what I have on hand.


I found these great fabric stash tags by Sarai Mitnick from Colette Patterns. I love this idea as you can see exactly what you have at a quick glance. It gives you a place to write a description of the fabric, the length and the width. The big blank space down the bottom allows you to include a sample of the fabric so that you can see and feel the fabric without having to get the fabric out of the drawer.


Here is an example of my tags. I have written a general description about the fabric, written the length in pencil so that I can change it as I go (I have also included whether the material has been cut) and how wide the fabric is. I used a stapler to attach a small sample of each fabric.


I attached them to the drawer so that I can flip it out whenever I want to see what is in my stash. As Sarai states in her blog post, the hardest part will be to remember to change the length as you cut each piece of fabric! 


I used a fabric covered box to store my fat quarters and scrap material.




How do you organise your fabric supplies? I cannot wait to have proper storage for all my craft supplies. Watch out for an updated post sometime this year!

- J x

Please click here to see my disclaimer policy.
facebook // twitter // pinterest // ravelry // bloglovin' // etsy




No comments:

Post a Comment