02/07/2014

Dining Chair Reupholstery | DIY


We were given our dining setting by my Grandparents when they moved into a retirement village a few years ago. The table brings back so many memories of all the wonderful times we had with them, and all the amazing meals we shared with the family sitting around the table.

I recently got around to re upholstering the chairs to make bring them into a more modern era. I absolutely love the way they turned out! After upholstering one of our couches last year, this project was a dream - so quick and easy. Scroll down to see the process.



- Fabric
- Drill
- Thread
- Scissors
- Chisel
- Pliers
- Staple Gun




The first thing you will need to do is dismantle the chair. Flip the chair so it is upside down and use your drill to remove all screws. Remember to take note of where everything fitted so you are able to put it back together properly. You may like to take pictures to ensure you put it back the same way.



Don't be fooled into thinking your dining chair will only have a few staples. There were at least 100 in each of our dining chairs! You need to ensure you take out all of your staples. I didn't have a special tool, so I used one of my partner's chisels and a pair of heavy duty pliers to pull out each staple. I found it easier to use the chisel first and push up all the staples, then go around and pull out the staples with the pliers. 



Place the old fabric on top of the new fabric and cut it out. Make sure to leave a border when you are cutting. Now is also the time to sew any fabric you need to. I don't have a picture of it sorry, but the backs of our chairs also needed to be reupholstered. I used what they had done as a guide and sewed the new fabric where they had sewn the old fabric.



Pretty much the most exciting step! Using your stale gun, reattach the fabric to the cushion of the chair. This was a lot of trial and error for me especially when it came to the corners. Take your time and ensure there are no puckers before you staple. It is also easier if you have 2 people so you can hold the fabric in place. You can now reassemble the chair.

And you are finished! Super easy - the more you do the quicker you will get.



I chose this gorgeous nude leaf curtain fabric to reupholster the chairs and I think it looks really nice.

We also really want to paint the dining setting but are unsure at this stage what colour. What are your thoughts?

I hope this post has been helpful and might inspire you with your reupholstering projects.

- J x

Please click here to see my disclaimer policy.
facebook // twitter // pinterest // ravelry // bloglovin' // etsy

No comments:

Post a Comment