11/03/2015

Two Cheeky Monkeys | Featured Shop of the Week

After some great feedback from our last weeks Featured Shop of the Week, today I would like to introduce you to Deb from Two Cheeky Monkeys! 
Tell us a little bit about yourself
I am a self-taught jewellery maker who grew up in suburban Melbourne.  Although many people are surprised to discover that I have a background in Genetics and Molecular Biology (I worked as a research scientist pre-kids), I grew up with creative parents who encouraged both my academic and creative sides.  My mum especially shaped my creative side, teaching me to embroider, sew, knit and crochet when I was young.

Meet Deb from Two Cheeky Monkeys!
What made you want to start Two Cheeky Monkeys
After starting a family, I found that the rigours of the scientific world made it almost impossible for family-oriented people to find flexible and family-friendly jobs. So, to keep myself entertained while I continued my rather miserable job hunting, I returned to my "creative" side and started making jewellery and other handmade gifts for my friends and loved ones. Many of my friends and family members started encouraging me to sell my creations, and with the added encouragement of my husband, Two Cheeky Monkeys was born.



Where did the idea for the name Two Cheeky Monkeys come from
My husband and I thought it would be sweet to name my shop after our two children, since they were one of the main reasons I opened up shop!  And since our kids are super cute but super cheeky too, I settled on the name Two Cheeky Monkeys.



Tell us about the products you sell and your processes
I predominantly sell vintage-inspired jewellery and accessories for women, with a small range of items each for children and men.  I have three main jewellery ranges: the Literature range which features snippets of old books set into jewellery or accessories, the Glam It Up range which is all about jewellery made with gorgeous vintage glass jewels and stones, and also the Cabochon range which encompasses my pieces made with vintage and contemporary floral cabochons, a favourite of those who want a more feminine look.

The Literature range is probably the most time-consuming to create due to the fact that I search for battered old copies of famous novels and flick through the pages to find suitable character names for my creations.  Sometimes I also get caught up in re-reading whichever novel I'm working with, an occupational hazard, ha ha ha!


What is the most useful piece of advice you have been given in regards to Two Cheeky Monkeys
I am quite eclectic in my tastes so I would say that the best advice I've been given is to try and unify my store's look by using a similar style of photography for every item.  It is very tempting for me to use a wide range of backgrounds and styling looks, so "unifying" the look of my store is a constant work in progress, but definitely a much needed reminder not to confuse my customers!




What do you love most about Two Cheeky Monkeys
I love that my creations are enjoyed by a wide range of people from little girls who want to "dress up like mummy" with my children's range, to bridal parties and to customers buying an item to spoil themselves or a loved one.  I really love that there's something for everyone who loves vintage-styled pieces.




Tell us where we can find out more about you and Two Cheeky Monkeys
Previous Featured Shops
Little Miss Lorraine
Pea Green Sea

If you would like your shop to be featured on A Little Bit of Jess, flick me an email me at alittlebitofjess04@gmail.com and I will be in contact with you!

 
        alittlebitofjess04.blogspot.com.au 

Please click here to see my disclaimer policy.

Like what you see? Why not subscribe to my weekly update emails here.

No comments:

Post a Comment